01/13/2017 - Lunch Roundtable Discussion Sessions for the ISI WSC 2017 CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Lunch Roundtable Discussion Sessions for the ISI WSC 2017
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
After the successful introduction at the 2015 ISI World Statistics Congress (WSC) in Rio de Janeiro, the 2017 ISI WSC in Marrakech will offer again Lunch Roundtable Discussion (LRTD) sessions.
A lunch roundtable discussion is an opportunity to enjoy fellowship and conversation with colleagues about a statistical concept, method, or practice while also having lunch. These discussions provide a great chance to interact and to network with fellow participants.
We invite you and your colleagues to submit any ideas that you feel would make for a good lunch roundtable discussion for the 2017 WSC. Here are the LRTDs presented at 2015 WSC:
- ·Statistical Sciences in the Era of Big Data
- ·What Statistics says about how the peoples in rural areas in the middle of Amazonia's heart live
- ·Urban/rural classifications - can we do better?
- ·How young statisticians associations help in raising statistical awareness, empowering and qualifying young statisticians to lead the statistical work in the future
- ·Assessment Methodology for Rare and Endangered Plant/Animal Species and its Improvement
- ·Statistics, Machine Learning & Big Data
- ·The Spirit of Official Statistics: Partnership and Continuous Innovation
- ·Statistics from gender perspective for overall development and wellbeing
- ·What do we do about the 'literacy' in statistical literacy, at the college level?
- ·Bayes and Big Data
- ·Communication strategies for statistical information: A common interest of national and international producers of statistics
- ·Statistical National System, public programs management and statistical production based on administrative registers. Yucatán study case.
- ·Good practices in teaching statistics
- ·The Role of Statistics in the Big Data Era of Genomic and Epigenomic Research
- ·Agriculture Data Collection and Use: How to benefit farmers?
- ·National Statistical Offices' productivity
- ·Building Partnership between Statistical Consultants and Industries
- ·Judiciary intrusions in the production of official statistics
- ·Preparing students for the workforce: constructing and implementing meaningful data practicum capstone experiences for students
We would love to see proposals from any ISI member, from each Association and Special Interest Group and from partnerships. This would be a great opportunity to highlight common interests and collaboration between associations and special interest groups. Ideally, each ISI Association and Special Interest Group should organize and host or co-host one or more lunch roundtables.
Logistical details for the lunch roundtable:
- Roundtables will take place Monday-Friday during the WSC. They will be organized by general theme/topic.
- Each table will accommodate a maximum of 10 registered participants plus the discussion leader. Note that preregistration of at least 6 participants is required for a lunch roundtable to be offered.
- Lunches will be available for all attendees at a cost of 15 euro. Tickets will be available for purchase when you register for the WSC. Any remaining seats will be sold onsite until 2 p.m. the day before the lunch. Regular and vegetarian meals will be available. The discussion leaders will receive their lunch free.
- During the registration process, participants will be prompted to select a specific discussion table of interest, where they will then be served their lunch.
To propose a lunch roundtable, please submit the following information using the online submission system at www.isi2017.org:
- Name and contact information for the person who will lead the discussion;
- Title for the lunch roundtable;
- Short description / abstract for the roundtable discussion topic;
- One-two key questions that would be shared with participants to prepare for a productive discussion.
Please note that those who agree to be discussion leaders at an LRTD are making a commitment to attend the WSC, and thus they must follow the same registration rules valid for speakers, namely to register by 22 May 2017. Submissions are possible from now until 24January 2017. Final decisions will made by 7 February 2017.
For queries, please contact the Chair of the LRTD Committee, Fabrizio Ruggeri, at